Thursday, May 19, 2011

S-L-O-W-M-O-T-I-O-N and making the most of being a (temporarily) single parent

Hmm, it's looking like I'm slowing down for the summer already around here! School doesn't end until June 28th, so there are still lots of big projects and field trips to get through, but thankfully, the kids have just finished piano and basketball, so there's a lot less running around to do. And still, the blogging has suffered. Ah, well. Blogging is not one of my strengths, but I do try. But I digress...

Things were pretty crazy for a while what with my hubby starting a new job 7 hours away, getting him all ready to go, band trips, house-hunting trips, putting the house on the market, installing new carpet, etc. I'm going to be honest, at the end of all of the stress that was March/April, getting rid of my husband has actually simplified my life a great deal. Not the least of which is that I get to miss all of the new-job stress. (You can bet I've done a happy dance or two over that one...oh wait, here comes another one. And...I'm done.)

Don't get me wrong - my hubby is a totally awesome guy and all that, but some things are just easier when he's not around. Like the laundry. I have waaay less laundry now that he's gone. Isn't that weird? He's not even that big of a guy, so you wouldn't think it would make that big of a difference. Who knew?

Also easier? Meals. If we want to have less than manly meals for dinner like grilled cheese sandwiches, we can! My kids can be full if that's all I feed them, and it's completely awesome. Or how about cereal for dinner? Sure! The kids love it.

The best thing though, is not having to keep the house as tidy All. The. Time. (Er, not that I do, it's just that now the pressure is off...) Let's just say that my husband and I have different levels of tidiness that we're each comfortable with. (He thinks we should live in a showhome, and I think we have busy lives with FIVE KIDS.) I mean, I've still got to maintain a certain level of cleanliness because we're not animals still showing the house, but I've already de-junked in anticipation of the move, so I've always got tons of time to get things ready for a showing.

There are plenty of things we miss about having daddy around, but that doesn't mean I'm not going to appreciate the good things that come from it. Now I only have to keep the house in totally awesome shape when he comes home every once in a while for a weekend. AND I LOVE IT.

Is that so wrong?

Besos!

3 comments:

Michelle Teacress said...

My husband had to work in VA for several months. It was easier in some ways, but we sure missed him, and it was a BIG adjustment when he left and again when he came back. Good luck with all the changes. :)

Medeia Sharif said...

I understand. I love some people but things seem easier (not necessarily better) when they're not around.

Michelle Teacress said...

Hey, I expected to see a new post today. Where you been? I hope you're enjoying your summer. :)