Friday, March 4, 2011

When you least expect it

Remember how I said Valentine's day wasn't a big deal around here? Well, it still isn't, but my husband and I are coming up on the 16th anniversary of our engagement this month. Normally, we completely forget until about a week after and then reminisce about how excited we were to get engaged all that many years ago.

My husband had taken his mom to shop for a ring (isn't that cute?) on a Tuesday afternoon (the 14th), and then he couldn't wait to propose. He showed up just after dinner that night to pick me up with a single rose and a huge grin. I gave him a hug to thank him for the beautiful flower and he said, "That's not all, I've got something to ask you."

Before I could even react, he pulled a box out of his pants pocket and told me to open it. I was completely shocked to find a ring! I mean, who expects a proposal on a Tuesday?? He explained that he was way too excited once he had the ring in his hand, and while he thought about planning something special, he figured I'd catch on so he thought he'd just go for it.

He was right, of course. I couldn't have been more pleased to get a surprise like that - completely out of the blue. I didn't know it at the time, but this was so typical of him. He gets a bee in his bonnet about something, and dives right in.

Which brings me to the whole point of this post: he did it to me again. He was home for lunch a few days ago, and just before heading back to work he took me by both hands and said, "I was thinking that I'd like to get you some new wedding rings for our engagement anniversary. Let's go shopping after work."

So that's what we did! It was almost closing time by the time we got there, so I didn't have much time to look. When he took our daughter across the way to get a new backpack, the woman behind the counter came back with a beautiful ring. I tried it on, then tried on a few others, but still wasn't sure and it was closing time. She gave me a brochure with the rings I'd tried on so I could think about it, but when I got home, the pretty little ring she'd brought out wasn't in there. It was all I could think about, so the next day - a Tuesday - we went back and got it (along with a thin, beautiful band). I'm so excited, but now I have to wait until the 11th to get it back from sizing (darn puny fingers).

The funny thing is, I had noticed that my husband's ring was getting a little worn, so just a couple of weeks ago I had been shopping around for him. (Great minds think alike...) We bought him a new one to go with mine. :o)

I would just like to say that around here? Valentine's Day ain't got nothin' on Tuesdays.

Besos!

4 comments:

Melanie Jacobson said...

I got engaged on a Wednesday, which my co-workers thought was hilarious. "Only you," one of them said. I was like, "What?" It made perfect sense to me.

Shannon O'Donnell said...

Oh, that is the sweetest story, Tracy! *sigh* :-)

ali said...

Ah! This is the sweetest story ever! Loved that last line ~ just summed it all up. Congratulations and happy anniversary to you both!

~T~ said...

We got engaged sixteen years ago as well, on a Monday, because he didn't want to ask on Valentine's Day, but couldn't wait any longer than Presidents' Day. But there was no ring yet. He came for dinner on St. Patrick's Day bearing a dozen roses and a dozen doughnuts. Only after dinner did I discover that one of the doughnuts was already gone--and replaced with the most beautiful ring ever.