Monday, March 21, 2011

Introverts 'r' Us

I don't know about you, but I'm a major introvert. That doesn't mean I don't enjoy going out and having a good time, but I'm very comfortable in my own skin and I have no problems being alone for extended periods of time. (Which, um, is not easy to do when you've got 5 kids, but that's another post for another time.)

Anywho...I read a great article over at Shrinking Violets today that really resonated with me. I'm just going to list their 10 points, but you should head over there and check it out if you know any introverts. I think we're often misunderstood, and this explains "our people" perfectly! :-)

(Italics indicate my additional thoughts, but you really should check out the original article. It's excellent!)

  1. We are not all shy. (Except for talking on the phone. I'm so bad at that.)
  2. We are not anti-social. (hahahahahaha)
  3. Introversion is not a mental health issue. (What the??? People actually think that?)
  4. We don't not like people. (Also, we are not snobs. Just sayin'.)
  5. We do contribute to society. (I should hope so!)
  6. Introversion is not a weakness that needs to be overcome. (Where do people get these ideas from?)
  7. We do not have intimacy issues. (Did I mention that I have FIVE kids??)
  8. We are not broken extroverts. (This one makes me smile.)
  9. Introversion is not the same as social anxiety. (Amen to that.)
  10. Introverts are not self-absorbed. (Unless I have my nose in a book. Then I don't want to talk to you.)
Hopefully this clears up a few misconceptions about us broken extroverts, haha. Normally, I would counsel you to go out and hug an introvert today, but let's face it - we don't really want that kind of attention. :o)

Besos!

5 comments:

Laura said...

Amen! On the Myers-Briggs 30 point scale I scored 29 for introversion! I have been accused of being - aloof, academic, too intellectual, cold ... all because of my introversion. When I went on holiday last year people kept asking me who I was going with and were often perplexed when I said I was going alone. That was the best week of my life - so much time to think, reflect and recharge. So, when I got home I was happy re-engage with people.

Thanks for this one, Trace!

Melanie Jacobson said...

My husband says an introvert is defined as someone who emotionally recharges by spending time alone and an extrovert who emotionally recharges by being around other people. I'm an extrovert, he's an introvert but we're both outgoing. And I think his definition is right.

All good things said...

I must have known you in another life, I wouldn't ever describe you as introverted! :) Love you just the way you are though!

~T~ said...

I hate talking on the phone, too. I have to rehearse what I'm going to say. This makes visiting teaching rather painful. I'd much rather write, or perform on stage. That way I can plan my communication, edit it, get it right, and the audience can pay attention if they want to. I guess that's why I blog!

Tracy Loewer said...

B, of course you wouldn't think so because we had so much fun together and I don't have a problem with my close friends, but I've always felt ill at ease in most social settings. I'm pretty good at hiding it though. On the other hand, if you give me a huge audience where it's largely impersonal, I love it.

~T~, I totally hear you with the visiting teaching. I have such a hard time with that!