Monday, January 24, 2011

Shovelling: object lesson

We've had a ton of snow, so there are 5-7 foot tall piles (I kid you not!) lining either side of the driveway from all of the shovelling we've had to do. These massive piles, combined with the wind almost always blowing from one direction, makes conditions optimal for the hugest snow drifts that go all the way across our driveway. After I got home from church yesterday (and almost getting stuck with the minivan), I tackled one such snow drift so that my husband's car could get through (I honestly don't know how he even got out in the first place).

It had rained a little bit, so the snow was even heavier than usual, and it was hard on the top from the wind blowing so hard. It took me 5 or six passes over the same area to even make a dent in the drift. Since I had nothing better to do (other than cursing the darn snow) I got to thinking about how much better my husband would be at shovelling this nasty snow. He's a lot stronger, and can push it further and faster. He could also chuck the snow over the mountains that lined the driveway rather going all the way around like I had to (my height threshold is about 4 feet).

I thought of how that's just like writing. There is always someone who can write better and faster, but it really doesn't do any good to compare ourselves to someone else. We just need to persevere until we've done everything that's necessary to be successful. It may not happen as quickly as we like, but if we keep at it, we'll get there.

Anyone else been inundated with the white stuff this year??

Besos!

5 comments:

Happily Cheesy said...

Great object lesson.

AmandaEbokosia.COM said...

Yes, I am so sick of the snow too. We're being hit with another storm as I write this. In regards to your thoughts about success, you're very right. Consistency and diligence are the two necessary elements needed to get to our goals.

Hannah Kincade said...

So true. Life is like writing, neither of which are a race, we take it at our own pace. I totally didn't mean for that to rhyme.

ali said...

We've had a lot more snow than usual out here (utah) but still nothing like what I'm used to being from Nova Scotia!

I think your object lesson is perfectly apt and one I've been embracing for myself lately.

Medeia Sharif said...

I refrain from comparing my writing pace to others'.

I'm in Florida, so no snow here.