Monday, January 10, 2011

Inspiration

I generally can't listen to music while I'm writing because it distracts me, so I save cranking the tunes for when I'm cleaning or just plain feel like dancing around the house. Sometimes, though, I need a little something extra to get me into the proper frame of mind for working on my novel so I'll put something on before I write. It's not necessarily mood music; rather, it's a reminder of beauty that can be created. It makes me feel like I have what it takes to create something meaningful and good. That hope often gets me through a difficult part of a story.

I think we all need those reminders at various times in our lives. Everyone gets a case of the blahs (aka the I'm-not-good-enough-to-get-the-job-done blues), and music is a powerful tool that can take us out of those dark places. Here's what I'm listening to today: Flows Like Water from The Last Airbender soundtrack. Honestly, I loved the movie, but the music definitely added a lot to it. The graphics are non-existent in this youtube video, but I hope you'll love the music as much as I do.

Besos!

5 comments:

MT said...

Thank You Thank You Thank You! A new channel for my Pandora line-up. I love to write to music like this. :)

Melanie Jacobson said...

I can't write to music, either! What works better than anything else for getting me in the frame of mind to write is reading great writing.

Shannon O'Donnell said...

Awesome!! Thanks for sharing this, Tracy - you rawk! :-)

Lydia K said...

I do the same thing, listen to get in the writing mood then turn it off for the hard core writing. Nice to meet you and your blog!

Lindsay N. Currie said...

You know, I can't listen to music while I'm writing but perhaps I could start using it to pull me out of writing funks - worth a try!