Monday, November 8, 2010

Cryin'

Do you ever get teary-eyed for no real reason? Well, for a reason, but sort of out of the blue? I have a few things that trigger the tear ducts, and in honour of Remembrance Day (or Veteran's Day in the U.S.) I thought I'd share one of them with you. I promise that it'll make more sense if you keep reading.

As a young'un, I was in love with The Diary of Anne Frank. Actually, I've been pretty much obsessed with the World Wars and the Holocost for as far back as I can remember. The biggest thing for me as a child (and really, even now), was that I could never understand the level of inhumanity and unfairness that went on, and I just couldn't wrap my head around why people committed the atrociously evil things that they did. In an attempt to understand, I've watched more documentaries than I can shake a stick at, and you can bet that if there's one on, I'll be plugged into the T.V. until it's done.

Obviously, war is a terrible thing, and watching and reading about it can make a person emotional. However, more often than not, my tears come at bizarre times. I'm not an overly emotional person, but it's generally when I'm thinking about the circumstances later on that the floods begin. I'm a reasonably mature woman, but the injustice makes my heart sick and I just can't keep my eyes dry!

In relation to that, I also get the same way when I think about the people who serve in the Armed Forces who truly believe in the cause of freedom, and desire to make the world a better place. I'm not going near the politics that are involved - I don't necessarily agree with certain decisions that are made in that regard - but what it comes down to, is that there are men and women who put their lives in danger for others, at tremendous personal sacrifice. Not to mention the physical and emotional sacrifices their families make as well.

I am so thankful to live in a land of freedom and prosperity (Canada), but I know that it was bought and paid for by people who weren't looking to be heroes. I love having this time of year to reflect upon their sacrifice and to mourn the loss of the many people who haven't been able to enjoy the same measure of peace that I've been afforded - and I salute the men and women who continue to put their lives on the line. Thank you.

Besos.

6 comments:

Shannon O'Donnell said...

What a beautiful post, Tracy! And what a wonderful thing to be thankful for! :-)

Jess said...

Very well said. You've made me a little teary too.

Stephanie Faris said...

I think we all need to pay more attention to our history...it will help us know where we're going.

Medeia Sharif said...

I get teary-eyed at the unlikeliest moments, for both subtle and extreme things.

SAMUEL PARK said...

What a great post and fascinating topic. I actually think it's great to get tear-eyed, and to cry. Much better than living in emotional denial and repression. I find that letting emotions out allows one to feel much freer and on the long run, more joyful. And of course, there's nothing like feeling that way in the presence of great Art!

MT said...

I'm less of a crier than I used to be, but when I watched Darryl Worley's I Just Came Back From a War yesterday, I teared up once again. Many thanks to all our soldiers.