Monday, October 4, 2010

Marvellous Monday: Favourite songs, childhood memory edition

I think we're all affected by the music our parents listen to. It's not that I like all of the same music my parents listened to (sorry, Mom, but Hoyt Axton??? It still makes me cringe...), but I've definitely been exposed to some excellent music over the years. Knowing that my parents were teens in the 60s and 70s, you probably won't be too surprised by the memories that music has etched into my brain.

One of my strongest memories associated with music, has to be waking up to the Beatles blue album - Back In The USSR to be exact - blaring on a Sunday morning. My bedroom was in the attic, but I could feel the bass all the way up there. I always knew that meant that mom and dad were making a yummy breakfast/brunch, and I think I still drool in anticipation when that song plays on my iPod!

Another couple of childhood songs that I still love to hear, are Sympathy for the Devil and Ruby Tuesday by the Rolling Stones. I think the lyrics for Sympathy for the Devil are extremely clever, and if you believe in the "devil" as a literal being, it really gives you something to think about. Even as a kid, I was a real sucker for lyrics with either a message, or a good story to tell. That said, Ruby Tuesday is just something I liked to sing along to. :o)

One last memory that gets triggered, takes me back to early elementary school (I was about 7 or 8, I think). There was a boy in my class that used to sing Rod Stewart's "Do You Think I'm Sexy". We all thought it was hilarious, even though we didn't know what that was supposed to mean...I had classes with him all the way through grade 12, and he's never been able to live it down. Poor guy!

Anyone else out there with some fun memories associated with music? I've barely scratched the surface of mine, but I don't want to bore you. :o)

Besos!

9 comments:

Ixchelle said...

My Mom used to clean the house to Simon and Garfunkel and the Beattles. This made chores fun to do. My brother was really into music like the Smiths, REM, Adam Ant, Billy Idol, Dead or Alive, Sex Pistols, the Cure, Erasure and so mnay more bands that I don't remember. Music was in my house all the time. My favorite part is roller skating to all my favorite 80's bands. I love your taste in music, Tracy.

Katie Anderson said...

My mum is a huuuuge fan of The Jam (could that sentence be any more British?!) Having had this drilled into me at a young age, I can't hear a Jam song without dancing like a loon. This can get quite embarrasing.....!

Jolene Perry said...

My parents had a no sleep after 9 am rule. To enforce it, my dad would put on the soundtrack to the Good, the Bad and the Ugly. If you've never heard it, check it out, you will see why it's a startling way to wake up.

Anonymous said...

I would like to exchange links with your site mylifeismybliss.blogspot.com
Is this possible?

Shannon O'Donnell said...

Oh, where would I even begin?! Music is such a foundation to memory. I loved Rod Stewart as a kid (still do). I remember absolutely loving the Pointer Sisters, HE'S SO SHY - that was my favorite song in Jr. High. :-)

Medeia Sharif said...

I faintly remember disco and Sha Na Na. Even though I don't care for that type of music, it makes me happy and reminds me of my early years.

Kathi Oram Peterson said...

My folks had a cabin and when we would visit them, Dad would play his big band CDs. Whenever I hear Glen Miller's band I think of my father and the cabin. Those were the days my friend. I thought they'd never end. ;)

All good things said...

Gee! I listened to German oom pa pa music and various renditions of German Folk songs. When we got older, it was Duran Duran and Abba--We led a sheltered life. Thanks for opening up the world of music to me! :)

asadisae said...

listen to music their parents might make us remember the past where we first heard..