Monday, October 18, 2010

Magical Monday

Welcome to another edition of Marvellous Monday! I promise that this week will not be as sombre as the last installment. (Thanks for sticking with me!)

As a kid, I never really thought of myself as particularly imaginative. My younger sister had a fabulous imagination and could make up the most fun stories. I always figured that was her thing. On the outside, anyway. In reality, I loved losing myself in fantasy-type books (one of my favourites was Lloyd Alexander's Prydain Chronicles/Black Cauldron series) and on the inside, I would make things up; fancying sprites and elves playing in the trees at the local park. I dreamed of magic and alternate realities, and wouldn't have been surprised to see a portal open up to whisk me away to mystical Avalon or some other fantastical place. If I'd had access to a wardrobe, I'd have been checking for a passage to Narnia for sure!

I had a lot of fun with imagination in my mind, which isn't too far from what I do now. I'm still very much in my own head, but now I write things down in hopes of sharing with others. Even though I now know better than to expect to be carried off to some distant, mythological place, I can't help but keep an eye out for elves in the forest, and if I ever come across an old wardrobe, you know where I'll be...

Seriously though, I do believe magic is everywhere if you know where to look, and I'm grateful for the ability to find it in everyday things (as well as in my head, hehe). It makes me happy and keeps me young (says I)!

What kind of magic is at work in your life?

Besos!

7 comments:

Jennifer Shirk said...

I think love and friendship is completely magical!

Caroline Starr Rose said...

Long time no see! Thanks for stopping by today.

When I was a kid, I'd create Prydain maps and have adventures...

Shannon O'Donnell said...

Friendship is definitely a form of magic I treasure. Also: motherhood, love, and BOOKS! :-)

Medeia Sharif said...

Books, sunrises, and the ocean are magical to me.

Terresa said...

Love remembering that magic is in everything, we just need to look for it (I think Roald Dahl said that, too).

Hope you are writing & well. I'm working towards a few deadlines for submissions in the coming weeks, not sleeping enough, but the trade off (to write) is, well, worth it. :)

MT said...

I still wish Narnia was real. It certainly feels real. CS Lewis did a really good job (understatement), didn't he? :)

Lisa Potts said...

The other day, I saw what I thought was a tiny monkey man by the edge of the woods near our house. Of course, I told myself it was probably a raccoon but the monkey man would be way more fun.