Friday, October 8, 2010

How cookies saved the day

My 13 year old came home from school one day this week, and was looking a little out of sorts. Being the excellent mother that I am, I asked how his day was. (I know, my skills are astounding...) He plopped himself on the couch next to me and said "I'm so angry." This surprised me. My little fella is pretty easygoing, and usually comes home from school all bright and cheery and eager to chat about his day. He didn't elaborate, so I prodded a little and got out of him that his teacher had told the kids that if they worked well in class, they wouldn't have to do any math homework. The class wasn't good, so they all got homework. He was extremely frustrated. "Why would they do that?", he wanted to know. He did what he was supposed to do, and now he was being punished for their bad behaviour.

My heart went out to him. He works hard, and because his cerebral palsy affects his fine motor skills, it takes him a little longer to do things, so he often has homework anyway. Homework that he does diligently the minute he gets home from school. (So not like his mother. I seriously love that kid.) Anyhoo, I just gave him a squeeze and told him how much it stunk to be lumped in with lame-o classmates, and that it really wasn't fair. Then I told him that I'd baked cookies, and that he'd better go get some with a nice glass of milk.

He looked at me with his slightly teary puppy dog eyes (seriously, they're a little droopy like a puppy) and said "You made cookies???" People, this teenage boy was too upset to notice that our house smelled like cookies! (To which I say: shame on you, evil classmates!)
I gave him an extra big MOM hug and sent him to the kitchen for his treat. After consuming the goodies, he happily finished his homework in record time.

And that, my friends, is how cookies saved the day.

This week's lesson is: Never, EVER underestimate the power of baked goods. (Also, in yo' face, healthy snacks!)

Besos!

7 comments:

Jess said...

That is the sweetest story! Thanks for sharing :)

Mesmerix said...

I remember those days, not so long ago, when I too had to suffer through extra work because of idiots. The only consolation is that it does get better, which wasn't much consolation to me at the time when my own mother was feeding me cookies.

The cookies though, they always helped, and having a mother with an open ear and loving heart.

Katie Anderson said...

Healthy shmealthy. When was the last time a carrot stick saved the day?! Cookies all the way!

Katie

Trisha Leaver said...

That story alone saved my day! And I'm going to the bakery to buy some cookies right now LOL!

Ron Smith said...

That is flippin beautiful! What a joy.

MT said...

Poor guy. I remember that feeling.

Thank heaven for baked goods - a tender mercy, I'm telling you. :)

Kathi Oram Peterson said...

Cookies rule! Seriously, cookies have saved many a broken heart. Your son is a trooper. Thanks for sharing this touching story. :)