Monday, October 25, 2010

Growing up

As a kid, I used to think that becoming a grown-up was a tangible thing. I almost expected to wake up one day with a note on my pillow saying "Congratulations! You're a Grown-Up!". Well, maybe not a note, but I did think there must be something that delineated between those teen years and adulthood.

I was a little obsessed with growing up (as most teens are - I wasn't the only one right? Right? *laughs nervously*). Part of that could be attributed to my looks - I was the size and shape of an eleven year old boy for.ev.er. and hoped to outgrow it - but mostly I wanted to live life on my own terms. When you're grown-up you can do whatever you want, whenever you want. *wipes tears from laughing so hard*

Looking back, I can obviously see how naïve that was, but I did get one part right. I do live the life that I want. Sure, it includes getting up too early (before noon), doing more laundry than humanly possible, and far too much cleaning (okay, so I'm a minimalist in this department, but the house still has to be relatively decent); however, I can do (most of) it happily, because it's part of the life I chose. I'm an at-home mom and I love it!

Obviously my hubby and I take care of business in a responsible way, but other than that, my life has relatively little to do with being a grown-up. Maybe it's from being around these kids for so long, but really, lightheartedness comes naturally, and I love being a kid at heart. Not in the scatalogical humour kind of way, but by living life with a sense of awe and wonder.

No matter how old I get, I still feel like anything is possible. I'm sort of of the mindset that truly growing up means losing that. Sort of like the Peter Pan movie with Robin Williams (Hook) where he forgets who he is and is a grown-up with a capital G.

I mean, we all grow older - but to actually grow UP? I stick my tongue out at the thought. Who's with me?

Besos!

P.S. I ate a huge piece of pumpkin pie for lunch. That's it. Nothing else. And it was AWESOME.

9 comments:

Melanie Jacobson said...

I'm in!

Jess said...

I'm with you! (*heading to store to buy pumpkin pie for lunch*)

Laura said...

I love you, Tracy and I love this blog. Thank you so much for giving me these lovely thoughts for my day! I believe Calvin (of Calvin & Hobbes fame) said it best: "Childhood is short and maturity is forever!" The trick, I think, is to avoid the maturity part!

Shannon O'Donnell said...

LOL! We are so alike. And I ate some Pop Tarts and 3 mini Snickers bars for lunch - no lie! :-)

ali said...

*Mlah!* That's me sticking my tongue at being grown up. I'm totally with you! I can't stop myself from growing older but I sure as heck don't have to grow up!

Jen Daiker said...

OH! I want pumpkin pie!!! YUMMY!!!!

I don't ever want to grow up! It's true when they say "When you're young all you want to do is grow up, and when your 'older' you just want to be young again."

Guess we're never satisfied! I'm glad I can be both :)

Aubrie said...

I love this post! As I get older, I definitely grow more patient and less tempestuous. But I still don't look like a grown up. Maybe if I was taller.....oh well.

Being grown up, I think, means being able to see past yourself and care for others.

Glad you enjoyed your pumpkin pie!

MT said...

I'm with you. As I get older, I've often wondered how come I look older, but feel the same on the inside.
I had cup o' noodles and vanilla sugar wafers for lunch. If I had pie, I would have had that too. ;)

Farmer*swife a/k/a Glass_Half_Full said...

I would never repeat my childhood, unless I could live it like my kids are living it today. I couldn't wait until I was legally old enough to make my own decisions.

I've loved being a grown up. I always told myself, that as an adult I can do or NOT do anything I want. People can no longer MAKE me do something against my better will.

Welp. This rings partly true. But, even as an adult there are times when I have to do/attend/participate when I don't want to. Not that I couldn't just say NO. I could. But, then there would be alternative consequences to that. ;-)

Still. I'm pretty happy living in adulthood.