Thursday, September 16, 2010

One week left, and driving isn't all it's cracked up to be

The final countdown to the winner of the Hunger Games Trilogy is on! The contest closes at midnight of the 22nd, and on the 23rd I'll blog the winner. I'm already preparing my lovely Mexican bowl for the prize drawing (you can see the bowl and read about the fancy way I draw for a winner here).

In the meantime, I hope y'all* are doing well. I'm finally starting to adjust to our new, school/activity schedule, although the driving - OH MAN ALIVE THE DRIVING! - is going to do me in, and I, er I mean the kids haven't even started indoor soccer yet which will be every Monday-Thursday evening and goes until April. I'm tired just thinking about it.

You're probably thinking "Well, don't put your kids in so much stuff", which would be perfectly reasonable, but with 5 kids, there seems to be something going on ALL. THE. TIME. Trust me, I'm not one of those super high-energy moms with their kids involved in every extra-curricular activity out there. For starters, who can afford** it? For seconders (seconders?? Somebody*** needs a nap) I believe in a kid needing down time. Lots of down time. Because I like lots of down time. With reading. And sleeping. Did I mention that I'm tired?

Sorry, where was I? Oh yeah, not overscheduling kids. Or moms. Fortunately for my kids, they aren't overscheduled. Unfortunately for me, someone has to drive them to their activities. Since my husband is out of town working and/or coaching men's volleyball (until December - yay!) or playing volleyball (until March - boo!), I'm the one who gets to do the driving. I try not to complain too much, but I do get tired!

Besides, I'm just really grateful to have a vehicle to drive. When we first moved here, my husband had our only vehicle, so a lovely friend would take one of my girls to dance class with her daughter. She was (and still is) a darling, busy woman, and I never hear her complain about all of the running around she does for everyone else, so I have no business whining about my schedule. :o)

Speaking of schedule, I've got to get the rugrats a snack and then ready for bed. (Hubby is out of town for meetings.) Everyone is tired and a little cranky, so a good night's sleep is the only thing on the agenda for the evening. We're going to enjoy our last 3 weeks before the soccer madness sets in! And tomorrow? Well, thank goodness it's Friday, because weekends are free. Except for the out of town trip 2 kids are taking on Saturday with that amazing woman I just told you about in the last paragraph (I really hope she knows how much I love her).

Besos!

*Sorry, it's a throwback to when I used to live in Texas and just slips out every once in a while, y'all. See? There it goes again!
**Uh, not us, that's who.
***That somebody would be ME.

5 comments:

ali said...

ROFL! That IS a busy schedule. It's reading posts like yours that makes me grateful I only have two boys who are in the same things. Consolidates all the driving around! Enjoy your weekend!

Stephanie said...

I think an extra curricular activity is good for kids, as long as it's not too much and it doesn't take away from school or family time! My daughter takes dance and I take dance as well (even moms need activities!!) My son is young yet, but when he turns 3 in January I hope to get him started in something so he learns to better socialize with kids his age.

Can't wait to hear who wins the contest!! (Hoping it's me!!)

Jen said...

Wow! I would not have thought to say stop scheduling your kids in so many things, especially when you said you had FIVE! You're like super mom!!! Later in life they'll really appreciate everything you do! I think it's amazing that even though the driving sucks you still give them the world and let them enjoy those activities they love! I love mom's like that!!

Way to go Super Mom!

PS - I'm so excited for the Hunger Game winner annoucement! I'm hoping my name is chosen from that fancy bowl of yours!!!! Needless to say I'll be disappointed (and slightly jealous...okay a lot jealous) if I don't win.

Praying luck is on my side :)

Happy Monday!

Angela M. said...

Yay, contest! I've got my fingers triple-crossed. I definitely get the hectic schedule thing. My kids are all spread out in several different schools. Makes things difficult. I'm away for a long time, so I don't deal with it a lot lately, but I feel for my hubs!!

I've got an award for you on my blog. You can come and pick it up here.

Melanie Jacobson said...

I can't even imagine being busier than we already are and we're not THAT busy. Good luck!