Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Summertime memories

One of my favourite things about summer (aside from school being out) was knowing that many adventures awaited in between the covers of yet-to-be-discovered books. Many times, I would ride my bike to the library, filled with the anticipation of loading up my basket with books. The library was a magical (air-conditioned!) place where sprites and elves could pop out from behind the shelves, and a trip to Narnia seemed possible. I also remember the excitement of finding a Nancy Drew mystery that I hadn't already read, or the thrill of discovering that a beloved book was actually a series.

Judging from what I've read on your blogs, I know I'm not alone in my library love, and when I think of some of my strongest and happiest girlhood memories, I think of summer days picking out books at the library. In my mind's eye, I can see that ecstatic little girl wandering down the aisles, touching every spine, and pulling out the most promising ones for inspection.

I caught a glimpse of that little girl in my daughter today. We went to pick up the last book in a series on which she'd placed a hold. Before picking it up, she browsed the shelves and found a book that she knew she'd love. Her face was glowing when she showed it to me, and for the first time in a long while, I was lost in my own memory of a time (was it so long ago?) when I lived for magical summer days when I could get lost in the stacks.

As a grown-up dealing with 5 kids at home and the general busy-ness of summer, it's sometimes hard to capture that magical feeling - even for an upbeat person with an active imagination. However, today's little trip down memory lane was a gentle reminder to really savour every moment; to feel the joy of new discovery, to enjoy the warmth of the sun on my face, to go for walks in the park, and to look for elves and sprites in the trees.

In between all of that, I will be travelling, editing, querying, reading and writing. I'll blog when I can, but the way my summer is shaping up, I'll be even more scarce than usual! May your summer be filled with magic, and don't forget to have fun!

Besos!

P.S. I will still be holding my 100 followers contest sometime this summer, so I do plan on being around at least a little bit!

4 comments:

MT said...

I love the library too - I have since I started school. Weren't you the one who told me about that library fund raiser, the one where if you leave a comment on a blog they will donate a dollar to their library? I like that. I think I'd like to do that again. :)

Terresa said...

Thanks for the reminder to not forget to have fun. The funk I felt yesterday is clearing way for some gladness, methinks. Summer, library, writing, kids, let's go!!

Aubrie said...

I'm having trouble keeping up with my blogging this summer as well. I just try to do my best and sneak some fun in at the same time.

My parents used to take me and my sister to the library once a week on Saturdays. I loved it. :) I still remember the big set of drawers that was the card catalog. (now all digital)

notesfromnadir said...

It's great to read of people having fond memories of libraries. & now you are helping your children have many fond memories. Always great to read about people who share their love of books w/ their children! :)