Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Fifteen years

Last week my husband and I celebrated our 15th anniversary. How did this happen? I have no idea! I suppose it's a good thing that time seems to go by so quickly, but to be honest, I don't like the idea of the years racing by. I get this sense of urgency that I need to accomplish something before it's too late. This is ridiculous, because while my family is definitely a work in progress, it is (and will remain) my greatest accomplishment. I say "my", but I really mean "our". I couldn't do this without my husband.

I want to talk a bit about this man of mine. My husband is hard-working, honest, thoughtful, caring, humble and true. He can't walk by someone in need without checking his pockets for spare change, and cannot operate under any pretenses - what you see is what you get. Lest you think he's perfect, I'd like to point out that I didn't say he's patient. He's not. That's sort of my department, and sometimes my ability to detach from a situation drives him bonkers. :) That's okay though. My husband and I are opposites in many ways, but I appreciate those differences so much! If there was one thing I'd change about him, it's that he looks at things a tad pessimistically (quit laughing, mom). Other than that, he's pretty much perfect. Which he'd totally deny, by the way*.

He really hates when I say good things about him, because he thinks he can't live up to them. He can never seem to grasp that he already has. I'm so grateful to have him in my life. He's a wonderful dad, and a great example for all of our kids. I hope our boys turn out to be just like him. Well, maybe the improved (read: more patient) version, but I think we always want our children to be a little better than ourselves, don't we?

I've been so blessed to have great men in my life, and I'm so thankful that I can give my kids the same thing. Thank you mom and dad for giving me a great example to follow - as a person, and as a spouse. I love you!

Others' flaws might drive us a little crazy sometimes, but we can learn so much from each other, and being with my husband has helped me realize things that I need to improve upon *cough*time-management-and-organization*cough*.  I'm a ridiculously unsentimental person, but I absolutely adore him for helping me become a better person. Here's looking to the next 15 years and more!

Besos!
*Don't worry, he never reads my blog, so he won't even know I'm saying nice things about him. :)

8 comments:

Caroline Starr Rose said...

Was your anniversary the first? My husband and I celebrated our fifteenth on that day!

Congrats.

Jennifer Shirk said...

Me and my hubby celebrated our 15th this year too!

Shannon Whitney Messenger said...

Wow--15 years. Very cool. My 6 year anniversary is this Saturday and we're both constantly saying, has it REALLY been that long? It's been so easy, it feels like 6 months. :)

Happy belated anniversary!

Stina Lindenblatt said...

Congrats on 15 years! My hubby and I will be celebrating our 11th later this month. :D

Were did time go?

TerryLynnJohnson said...

congratulations! 15 seems awfully close for me too. how does time go so quickly?

MT said...

15 years - awesome! I'm happy for you. It sounds like your got a great thing going. :)

Aubrie said...

Congrats on your 15th anniversary! We're going to have our 8th coming up August 10th.

Tracy said...

Thanks for the well-wishes!