Monday, June 14, 2010

Summer ramblings

Anyone else getting antsy for summertime? My husband just got back from fishing with a couple of the kids, and is busy cleaning up so we can have fish for dinner tomorrow night. I can hardly wait to BBQ it up with dill, lemon and butter. Yum! I hope we get to eat lots of fish this year. We used to live right on a lake* up north, and the fishing was awesome. I miss that.

As much as I love the long winter nights, I look forward to summer evenings because the sun doesn't fully set until around 10pm or so, and I don't feel so bad for staying up so late! :-) Oh, and the northern lights dancing across the sky...amazing! The one drawback? Birds singing at 3 in the morning. Not cool!

However, that early morning noise is totally made up for by the fact that I don't have to get the kids up and off to school, which in turn means that I don't have to make lunches!!! Hurray! I don't know why this is such a big deal, as I'm generally kicking kids out of the kitchen all summer long, but for some reason I find that way more appealing than getting up early and packing those little lunch bags. Maybe it's just the getting up early part...Mornings and I don't mix. (That may or may not be an understatement.)

Of course, one thing that I'm looking forward to is being able to query again. My manuscript will be all polished up and ready to go in the next few weeks, and I'm so excited! In spite of not landing an agent last year with my YA novel, I thought querying was a great experience, and I really learned a lot. As a result, I've finally got a way to fix what needs to be fixed in that novel, but I've made notes and set it aside for the time being. I have a number of things on the go, but I think I've really found my voice writing for the middle grade years, and I'm IN LOVE with my goofy little book that is about to be sent out. I guess I should have known - I love the Diary of a Wimpy Kid books**, haha.

In the meantime, I'm very happy to say that I won a 10 page critique from fellow MG writer Natalie Bahm whose website you should really check out because she's a lovely person, and will be doing a critique a week, AND her agent is currently looking to add to her client list.

Well, I'm off to bed to try and catch up on some of the sleep I missed last night. Insomnia is the worst! Especially when you have to get up and make lunches 3 hours after you finally get to sleep.

Besos!

*Not, like, on a houseboat or anything. We lived in a real house. On the shore...you get the idea.
**Seriously. I wish I had written those. They're awesome.

9 comments:

Lola Sharp said...

School lets out in 8 more days here! A couple of months of not having to wake up at 6 am. I HATE 6 am. Making lunches and letting dogs out at 6 in the morning on 4 hours of sleep is not my favorite thing to do. I feel you.

Kathi Oram Peterson said...

I hear you about the insomnia. What's with that? I'm beginning to get a lot of reading done in the middle of the night, but it doesn't help when I'm lagging for the rest of the day.

I feel your pain. :0)

Tracy said...

Lola - even reading 6am hurts, haha.

Kathi - middle of the night reading is a great way to kill the time! And it's usually the only thing I can do when I'm tired but not sleepy.

arlee bird said...

I like to have fish more often. When I have it, I get it from the supermarket. If I ever caught a fish I wouldn't know what to do with it.

Lee
Tossing It Out

arlee bird said...

Please read this message from Arlee Bird:

There is a blogger out there who needs your support more than most others do. He is an inmate in a prison who is attempting to have a voice. He has been writing for several years and would like someone to read what he has to say. He does not have internet access and his submissions must be posted by his sister, who in turn sends him comments for him to respond to. I hope you will at least take a look at his blog and then if you moved to do so, leave a comment for him and follow his blog and tell others about it.

The Saga of the Concrete Jungle

Thanks
Lee

Julie Musil said...

Your 100th follower is AWESOME! Oh wait, that's me! Congratulations on the milestone!

And we only have one more half day left of school. Yes, it's a half day on Monday, which is a bummer. But then it's sleeping in and being lazy time.

Terresa said...

You Won a 10 Page Critique???? Awesomesauce in buckets, girl! :)

The fishing, bbq, and Northern lights all sound divine. At the moment I'm stealing some blog reading time while the kids sleep and my husband practices the violin.

Happy weekend & polishing (your manuscript, that is!!).

Tracy said...

Lee, I promise not to think any less of you because you don't know how to gut a fish. ;)

Julie - welcome! Thanks to you, I'll get to implement my 100th follower contest!

Terresa - your kids can sleep through your hubby playing violin??? Is there a special pill for that? I could use it, hehe.

prashant said...

Your 100th follower is AWESOME!
Banner Advertising Network India