Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Spit and polish

As some of you know, I'm trying to finish editing/polishing my MG manuscript so I can query agents right away. The idea of having it all ready to go by the end of this month, was so that I could just sit back and relax over the summer*. Summertime seems to be pretty slow for hearing back from agents, and even if I get a few requests right off the bat, my MS would go to the back of the bus and it'd likely take a while, so it seemed like the perfect plan. I could work on some of my other stuff and play with the kids.

The only problem I've encountered, is that the last few weeks of school are always such a zoo. I mean, I'm getting there, but it's been much slower than I anticipated. I have a terrible sense of how long something is going to take in the first place, and I really want to put forth my best work. It's just too bad that sometimes life gets in the way! I mean, it's a great life and all, but still...

Really, I don't know what the rush is. I guess I just hate to miss my own self-imposed deadline. It's kind of silly, because I'm sitting on a manuscript** that I think is pretty terrific, so does it really matter if it takes me an extra week to make it the best it can be? Hmm, there's something worth pondering. :o)

How about you? Do you have deadlines you make yourself meet? Are you hard on yourself for missing them?

Besos!

*You know, as much as you can while waiting by the email inbox...
**Not literally, of course. That'd be weird.


7 comments:

Natalie said...

Yeah, I'm always making deadlines for myself. They keep me motivated and I meet them sometimes, but I usually don't. It's okay! It's not a race. A great book will still be a great book in three months and September/October is a great time to query. :)

Shannon Whitney Messenger said...

I do that all the time. And while it's good to push myself and stay motivated, there have been times when I've had to step back and realize that the stress I'm feeling is completely arbitrary and self imposed. So I'm learning to try and find a balance.

And remember--you can query any time. If a project is great--and I'm sure yours is--they'll snatch you up whenever you tell about it. :)

Aubrie said...

I definitely have self imposed deadlines. I think it's good to have them or I'll drag my feet. Good luck with polishing it up!

Stephanie said...

I originally wanted my next ms done by the end of the summer and then start editing it then...but I need to look at it realistically. My daughter is home for summer. No way am I gonna get the time I need to write. So I'm not real sure how my summer will be spent. But you can bet that as son as she's back in school...I will be writing my tushie off!!! Hopefully to have it done before my trip...leaving November 30th!

Erin said...

That is definitely a tricky balance to strike! Real vs. ideal. I usually WAY overestimate how much I can get done. I think it would be better if I were more realistic because I would be less likely to be overwhelmed by my personal to do list. Ha!

Good luck on your manuscript! How cool. I am sending positive vibes your way!

covnitkepr1 said...

I’ve enjoyed looking over your blog. I came across it through another blog I follow. I am now a follower of yours as well. Feel free to look over my blog and perhaps become a follower as well.

L'Aussie said...

The cartoon cracked me up! Hilarious and scary at the same time!