Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Teacher Appreciation Day

I realize that I missed posting yesterday, but the kids had the day off school and it was a bit crazy around here, and then we had people coming in and out to look at some furniture we had for sale (it sold - yippee!). I don't know if this is a U.S. thing to appreciate your teachers this week, but I've seen several posts that got me thinking about some of the wonderful teachers I've had.

I had Mr. M. for 11th grade English, and he made me feel like I could write. He encouraged creativity, and gave me 'A's on essays called To Biff, or not to Biff (Death of a Salesman essay, I think), or on papers in pink ink on 6x8" paper (that I cut down myself) because I was a notoriously, uh, concise writer and he didn't specify that it actually had to be on standard paper.

Then there was Ms. S. who I had for several subjects and roughly a dozen classes from grades 9-12. People thought she was a little different, but she really cared about the students and was a gifted math teacher. She got quite sick by the time I graduated, which others never really understood. A lot of students poked fun at her, but she was a lovely person, and one of my favourite teachers.

My absolute favourite teacher though, was Mr. L. He taught me for grades 5 and 6, and I even babysat for him and his wife. He was a gifted teacher, and made science a blast. He planned amazing outdoor excursions where we learned so much. I would've gladly had him as my teacher for every year of my life. He's that good.

I've been extremely grateful for the many wonderful teachers that my kids have had in their short time in school. In spite of difficulties with the school division for our #1, the teachers in my little city are second to none.

A good teacher can make all the difference in the world, and I just want all the teachers out there to know how much I appreciate their hard work. Have you thanked a teacher lately?

Besos!

4 comments:

Aubrie said...

I've had some great flute teachers in my life that have pushed me to be what I am today.

That's really special when a teacher can make science a blast! Because it's boring to me!

MT said...

I think it's interesting that the teachers I remember most today weren't necesarily the favorites in my school - but they meant a lot to me. I wish I could remember their names.

Belle said...

Thanks for this post - reading it, I remembered the three teachers who brought learning alive for me. One of them was an English teacher, one a math teacher and one a creative writing teacher. A good teacher really is such a gift!

zz said...

I've had so many great teachers across the three countries I've lived in. One of my favourites was Mr Africa (in South Africa :) - I think mostly I just liked his name...

Also my mum, step-dad and now husband are all fantastic, passionate, nurturing teachers - you can't beat that combination.