Sunday, May 9, 2010

A Mother's Day poem

Just a teeny little poem I wrote because I lack the capability to accurately describe the feelings of my heart when it comes to motherhood. The sad truth is, I'm not that good a writer!

Motherhood is...

Pushing, pulling, stretching, tearing
Aching, breaking, mending, wearing
Bonding, grasping, hoping, coping
Agonizing defeat
Ecstatic victory
Sleepless nights swaddled in unconditional love
Bliss veiled in snotty, slobbery kisses
Remembering, preserving and protecting
Innocence...
All in a day's work.

Happy Mother's Day to all of the wonderful women out there: mothers past, present and future, mothers in spirit and desire, sisters, grandmas, aunts, cousins, teachers, friends. Let's face it - it's a group effort!

Besos!

6 comments:

Terresa said...

I hear you! Love the poem, too. Motherhood *is* a group effort. Without my village, I'm not sure how my children would be raised.

Happy Mother's day to you, dear writerly friend!

Aubrie said...

I love this poem! It must be such a hard job to be a mother, but it also must be so rewarding.

MT said...

What pops into my head is a Sponge Bob quote (he streaches the word out with lots of goofy satisfaction) - "Nice"
Happy Mother's Day to you too. :)

Shannon O'Donnell said...

PERFECT!! I love it, Tracy. :-)

Ron Smith said...

Well, I'm not a mom. I'm not even a woman! But in thinking of all the moms I've known and the great things they do, I think you hit it right out of the park!

Sliding on the Edge said...

It is a group effort . . . and what a great group to be a part of.