Monday, May 17, 2010

Momfail

I'm not the most organized person in the world (okay, you can stop laughing now, mom) but I'm pretty good at keeping track of the important stuff. You know, like if my husband says "Did you see that super important paper with that thing on it from two weeks ago?" and I'm all "Sure, it's under that stack of papers that slipped under the coffee table that I've walked by thirteen times and just haven't gotten around to picking up because I had my arms full of laundry each time." Stuff like that.

I'm awesome at remembering all kinds of crazy, weird facts and figures, and at remembering things like the birthdays of my friends' children that I haven't seen in eight years...so I can't for the life of me figure out how I could forget my #3's final basketball tournament AND a kid's church party on Saturday!!! What the heck???

The sad thing is, none of us remembered about the kid's party until someone else stopped by and brought it up later that night (as in "Hey, where were you guys this afternoon?") and we didn't realize we'd missed the basketball thing until TODAY when I asked #3 if he had practice after school and #4 was all "Oh no! Wasn't your big final tournament on Saturday?"

So, yeah. Huge momfail this weekend.

This is why I carry a notebook with me to jot down the story ideas that come my way. Now if only I would also write down some of that other stuff like parties and basketball tournaments...I could be mother of the year!

Besos!

P.S. I would just like to point out that #3 had a friend over, and #4 and #5 both had playdates with friends, so it wasn't like they didn't have any fun that day. I also got the lawn mowed and did some shopping, so in all it was a very productive day. We just didn't do anything we were actually supposed to do.

14 comments:

Stephanie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Stephanie said...

Sorry, there were far too many typos in that first comment....embarrassing!

LOL! I would be lost without my Dayrunner to keep everything organized. Everything gets written in that thing and whenever anyone asks if I can do anything, I say "Let me check my book first!" But does that mean I remember to look in the book to see what's going on each week?? Uh....no.... I've missed a few chiropractor appointments because I forgot to look in my book at the beginning of the week.

We're all human, and luckily, my chiropractor does not charge for missed appointments.

And I do have a small notebook in my purse and my cell phone also has a note function. Seems to insure that ideas never get forgotten!

Jackee said...

Your P.S. just proves you're not failing. They still have fun! They still DO things!

But I know how you feel--I think writer moms are a bit scatter-brained because our heads are so filled with stories and other activities that we can't remember everything.

Thanks for sharing. It's good to know I'm not the only one!

Shannon Whitney Messenger said...

First of all--New Follower! *waves*

I really don't know how I missed your blog for so long, but I've found you now! (cue ominous music)

Now, I'm not a mom--so I'm not an expert on mom fails. But I'm an EXPERT on Shannonfails and I have to say, these don't sound so bad. If the kids had been upset about it they would have reminded you.

But yes, carrying a notebook is always a good idea.

Anyway, nice to meet you. I love connecting with other writers so I look forward to getting to know you through your posts. :)

laura724 said...

You kill me, Tracy! I know you're a great mom - so it's nice to hear that I'm not the only one who drops the ball every now and then!

Love you!

Kathi Oram Peterson said...

I hate it when I forget things. That's what happens though when you're busy and trying to write. I'll forget someone's name, but I'll remember their story. What's with that?

Aubrie said...

Awww I've done stuff like that before! Don't worry. :) It's hard to keep track of everything in life.

Shannon O'Donnell said...

Momfail moments are one of those inescapable things we all fall into now and then. In fact, I think it's in the job description somewhere - right? Say "right" so I feel better, k?! Thanks. :-)

Sliding on the Edge said...

For all those momfails I'm sure you've got hundreds of momsuccesses. I don't think you're alone. In fact, I know from personal experience you're not.

Terresa said...

I do the MomFail thing all too often. It sucks, really, how crappy a mama I can be. Good thing kids are forgiving. :)

Tracy said...

Right, Shannon! :)

Thanks y'all. It makes me very happy (and a bit relieved) to hear that I'm in such great company!

Lisa said...

I forget things all the time. Why? I don't know they're important like scheduled appts. that I've made. Big fail. Coming over from MMB.

Mary Campbell said...

momfail - I am doing this a lot lately too. I used to keep everything organized in a computer calender, but my hubbie changed a bunch of things on my computer and I have to redo my calender. I'll be so glad when this school year is over and there's so much less to worry about. Don't worry your kids won't even remember this weekend.

Natalie said...

I have totally been there! A couple of months ago we missed 2 friends birthday parties one Saturday. They were on the calendar. I knew about them weeks in advance. I just spaced them when Saturday came. It was super embarrassing.