Wednesday, March 10, 2010

On writing

It's been a while since I've actually posted anything on writing, but I read a great post over here at The Write Game about C. Lee McKenzie's process and wanted to share it. (She's the author of the novel Sliding On The Edge.)

I'm generally a pantser when I'm writing. Though I usually have an idea of where I'll end up, I like to let things go and see where the characters take me. In my most recent MG novel, things happened a little differently. I had a bunch of ideas that I wanted to take place along the way, so I wrote them as chapter headings. I ended up with a little outline that's been immensely helpful. It's even added another element of fun to my writing (okay, so I might be easily amused, but I'll take it :)).

What's working for you these days?

Besos!

3 comments:

TerryLynnJohnson said...

yes, I read that post too. very good.
I was working hard on revisions, now I'm taking a break while my editor reads it.

Karen Amanda Hooper said...

I fly by the seat of my pants. The thought of an outline makes my head hurt. First draft of my latest WIP is finished so now it's onto editing. :)

Terresa said...

Yeah, I'm a panster, too, who keeps trying to organize my ms using bit of stolen time and scraps of paper with *Very Important Plot and Character Points* on them. They are currently all over my writing desk and could paper a few walls of my home. (sigh)

Outlines are good, when I use 'em. I did one, once, for my fantasy manuscript that I have since set aside to start a new ms, a dystopian YA.