Saturday, March 6, 2010

Comment moderation; world peace and blue cheese edition

A while back, I took off my word verification and just put comment moderation on for any posts older than a week. This has been a great way to take care of spammers, but I'm starting to wonder if I did the right thing.

This morning there was one comment that needed to be moderated, but it was for some type of French blue cheese. (Okay, I'm no cheese expert, so if that's the only kind of fromage bleu, please forgive me...)  I deleted it, but then started to think that maybe I was really missing out on something here.

What if this type of blue cheese is a cure for cancer, or was the missing link that would enable world peace and I didn't spread the word? Then I'd be doing the human race a terrible disservice by just deleting without even looking into it. How could I be so careless???

I would like to take this opportunity to make a pledge that I will never again be so flippant about deleting blue cheese comments. What else is a blog for, if not to enable comments that might one day save the world?

Besos!

Seriously. Blue cheese spam?? People really have nothing better to do than randomly comment about cheese??? Does the cheese industry really need this kind of promotion?

3 comments:

arlee bird said...

I have been amazed how many college students I have helped on their papers and projects with my blog. That is a spam thing that I don't understand. Judging from the grammar that is often used these messages seem to be coming from someone for whom English is not their primary language. If these really are college students who use my blog for research and have grammar like that then we are in trouble for the future I fear.
Spam is weird (the e kind and the kind you eat).
Lee

Tracy said...

I know, Lee! I imagine lonely college students on the other side of the world trying to find good blog resources, and leaving comments all all over the place. Spam is totally weird, and I just don't understand it. I've never even seen the edible kind in real life either, yet it's constantly referenced in movies...

Sliding on the Edge said...

I just did the same thing about verification, and I'd love to be spammed by blue cheese (yummy).
Unfortunately, my spammers are Chinese or Japanese and I can't read a bloody word of what they're on about.