Thursday, January 14, 2010

What I really meant to say, was...

No ranting about bus drivers like the last post, I promise! :)

I actually just wanted to talk a bit about goals. I've never been big on self-imposed deadlines or that sort of thing, but I do think it's sometimes necessary to lay down the law. Even though I've been strapped for writing time for several months, I still want to have something to shoot for. I won't call it a deadline (because it's my blog and I can write what I want...), but I will say that I'm aiming for a piece of fiction that's ready to send to agents by the end of April.

It's a little ambitious, considering everything I've had going on lately, but as I've gone over my writing, I discovered that it's definitely do-able. A pleasant surprise, to say the least. Barring any major plot complications/edits along the way, I ought to be able to get it done. Mind you, if it takes longer to make the manuscript really shine, then I'll do that, but I need a target and I think this should about do it for me.

Now let's see if the rest of my life can co-exist (happily) with this new goal...

How about you - getting close to submission on your WIP?

Besos!

5 comments:

MommyJ said...

I am all about setting goals, or deadlines, really for myself. End of January... manuscript will be submitted to publisher's number 2 and 3. It WILL be... hopefully even sooner.

Erin said...

Good job on the timeline. Sounds reasonable yet ambitious! I hope the rest of your life cooperates nicely!

Natalie said...

Goals are so great. I do so much better with month or two month goals than daily word count goals too. I think I need the daily flexibility with the long term goal.

Tracy said...

Good luck MommyJ!

Thanks, Erin, I hope so too.

Natalie-that daily flexibility is a necessity with little ones. You never know what kind of a day or night you'll have, and some days are far more productive than others, aren't they?

Melanie J said...

I like daily goals that work toward a word count. I think the main reason I love goals is because I'm a big believer in rewards and I reward myself handsomely, I must say. I think my WIP should be done (first draft) around mid-February.