Tuesday, January 19, 2010
The art of being happy
Anyway - the other day I was given this lovely little Happy Blog award from Karen over at I'm Always Write... Thanks, Karen - what a fun surprise!
I have to tell ten things that make me happy and then nominate some blogs that make me happy. Yay! Happiness rocks!
Let the games begin!
Happiness is...(and not in any particular order)
1. Garlic toast - I could seriously live off the stuff (mind you no one would want to live with me, but, mmmm who cares???) I'm also going to add bread in general. I can't wait to get to heaven and eat all the bread I want without turning into a ball of dough. Don't even bother telling me I can't eat all the bread I want when I get to the other side. I'm not listening...lalalalalalalalalalala...
2. Family - I love being surrounded by the sound of my kids wrestling with my husband, or playing video games and laughing. Just happy, bustling, joyful family moments. One of the best times of day is when the kids or their dad come home after a long day away. Everyone is so happy to be home, and I get extra hugs and kisses to make up for what we missed.
3. Dance parties in the living room - I crank our favourite tunes and sing and dance and have a great time. Nothing cures a case of the blahs like an impromptu dance party.
4. Curling up with a good book - I love to read. That is an understatement in the worst kind of way. Thankfully, I read about 100+ pages/hour, so I can usually finish a book in a few hours.
5. Power tools - Oh, who am I kidding - not even just power tools. It could be a hammer, planer, chisel, whatever. If it has potential to build up, tear down, or reshape - the kind of joy I get from the stuff should probably be illegal.
6. Sitting by the Christmas tree in the middle of the night - I already discussed my love of this back in December. The post is here in case you missed it.
7. Going to the book store or the library - surrounded by books!! When I'm rich I want to buy a bookstore or library and live there. Or maybe I could just build a house with a huge library with big, comfy chairs, soft lighting (like, say, Christmas trees) and walls of bookshelves with huge sliding ladders. Until then, I can be content with just visiting what's open to the public.
8. My pyjamas - I heart my pyjamas and think the world would be a happier place if everyone had to wear fuzzy pjs. But maybe not in hot places. They could wear lighter jammies. But not nightgowns. I hate nightgowns. I don't know why.
9. The Gospel of Jesus Christ - I know God lives, and that He sent His Son to atone for our sins so we could have a way to get back to live with Him again. I love knowing where I came from, why I'm here and where I'm going. I'm a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, and it makes me so happy! People sometimes think weird things about us mormons (which may or may not be true, haha), but if you want to learn more, you can go here.
10. Clean laundry - Sure, it takes forever to fold and (make the kids) put away, but that fresh out of the dryer smell--mmm, can't beat it! I love watching the kids carry their stack of clothes with their noses buried shirt-deep. They're always excited (but maybe they're just happy to have clean clothes to wear).
Okay, so some blogs that make me happy...
1. The Renfroe Scoop - Becca is getting lots of love this week because of her fabulous post on Snowmandalism, but her blog is so much more than that. She's got recipes, book reviews, and witty banter. What more could you ask for? Reading her blog will put a smile on your face. She writes just the way she talks and even though I only knew her for a short time, I can tell you that she is as fun in real life as she is on her blog.
2. Book Dreaming - Shannon O'Donnell's blog is a delightful place to be. I know she has this award already (it was one of her posts last week-ish), but she deserves it because her blog is uplifting and enjoyable. If you don't already read it, it's a wonderful blog to add to your list.
3. Rants and Ramblings - Rachelle Gardner is a literary agent with a wonderful blog. I've learned so much from reading it, and always come away inspired in spite of knowing how difficult this business is to break into.
4. Free Book Friday - Free books make me VERY happy. Here's a site where you can enter to win on a weekly basis. There's also a site for free young adult books here.
5. Mormon Mommy Blogs - Don't let the name fool you. There are lots of moms on there who aren't Mormon, but it's got wonderful, inspirational topics about things we're all going through while trying to keep our families happy and keep our sanity.
Well, I think that's enough happy for one night. I'm off to do something that brings me supreme joy - SLEEP!! That ought to have been number one on my list, but come on - what tired mother doesn't love her sleep? I think garlic toast was way more unexpected, don't you? (Except to my mom. She knows all about my garlic obsession - hi mom!)