Thursday, December 10, 2009

Vacation (all I ever wanted)

It's rather oxymoronic to post this after my last winter love-fest, but in a few days I'm heading south for a week to a place where it'll be way too hot and humid...and I'm excited. Hubby and I are going on our first real "destination vacation" in 14 1/2 years of marriage.

Our last little trip without kids was to go skiiing in Idaho, but we stayed in a condo with his family, so I don't really count that (although it was fun to get away and we all had a great time hanging out). I also ended up almost stranded on top of a mountain crying my eyes out. True story*. Excuse me while I have a flashback. PTSD anyone?

And...we're done.

So anyway, after that partially traumatic vacation, I told hubby that our next one had better be somewhere warm and tropical. And maybe alone**. So, when his folks mentionned that they had a time share they wanted to use for another family vacay in a sunny locale, we thought it'd be fun. And then we found out it'd be cramped quarters and that our plane fare could either get us there, or it could get us an all-inclusive somewhere else, we weighed our options and went for the all-inclusive.

Now the bags are packed (umm, over-packed), and we're all ready to go. I'm dropping the kids off at my folks' place (thanks mom) and we'll be off! I may post some old blog entries if I can figure out how to do it, but no promises. I don't have too many to choose from anyway. :) If you don't hear from me for the next while, you'll know why.

Adios, amigos.

Besos!

*Yeah, when you aren't a strong skier, and your hubby and bro-in-law tell you there's a really easy blue run, don't listen to them (or at least make sure they'd actually been on it). That sucker went straight down the mountain, and got really narrow. There were kids whizzing by me (obviously their parents don't love them, or they wouldn't let them race down mountains where they could slide. right. off). My goggles were fogged up, and two very sheepish men carried my skis and poles while I slid down on my butt. If they had told me I could do that in the first place, I wouldn't have had a panic attack thinking my children would never see their mother again. Tobogganing down was actually the most fun I had the entire time.
**In all honesty, we did have lots of fun with his family. We all get along really well and it's not very often that so many of us can get together.

12 comments:

Stephanie said...

Wow!!! Have a fantastic time!!!!!!It's way snowy and blowy today where I am...kids are home form school.....a warm tropical vacation sounds like heaven right about now!

Fiauna said...

I'm just so totally jealous right now.

Bethany Wiggins said...

It is seven degrees at my house right now. The estimated high is 13. I am so freaking jealous!

Aubrie said...

Have a great vacation! And sorry about the mountain, that must have been scary!

Shannon O'Donnell said...

Jealous. Yes, definitely jealous. Have a wonderful time (alone) with your hubby. After 14 1/2 years, you deserve it! :)

Tracy said...

Thanks all! I'm already looking forward to a little winter reprieve (uh, even though it just barely got here), and it was just minus 35 with the wind chill at my place a couple of days ago.

And Aubrie, it was terrifying, but now I know that if I ever get stuck on a mountain I can just let it slide. Have butt - will travel. :)

Melanie J said...

A vacattion from my kids sounds absolutely delightful right now. *Picks oatmeal out hair.

Tracy said...

Mmm, oatmeal. I hear it's good for your skin. Maybe it's good for your hair too? ;)

Erin said...

Your trip sounds delightful! Glad you're ready to go ... the packing is the worst, except for the unpacking. But how much fun to be there together, sipping icy drinks in the sun!

Terresa said...

Ahhh, enjoy your getaway, completely & fully! There's nothing like it. I'm already plotting a trip to Ireland after being home 1 1/2 months from the UK. Waaah.

Soak up some sun for the rest of us, K? :)

Natalie said...

It sounds like you totally deserve this little getaway! I hope it's wonderful.

(My husband made me go on one of those "easy blue runs" a few years ago. I haven't been skiing since :)

Kelly Lyman said...

I hope you have fun on your trip! I'm jealous! I can't wait for the day when my husband and I can get away by ourselves!

Just wanted to let you know that I really enjoy your blog and have passed an award on to you!
www.kellylyman.blogspot.com