Wednesday, November 11, 2009

No writer's cramp allowed

Still having trouble accessing the Nanowrimo website. Apparently, the site doesn't like my internet connection. It doesn't matter though, since I'm writing the remainder of this novel by hand, and it's rather difficult to keep track of word count while doing it that way.

I love writing by hand. It's a tactic I often use when I'm fighting a bout of writer's block. The change in medium is often all I need to get the words flowing again. For some reason, pondering while chewing on the end of a pen is conducive to creativity. That's not the best part though. The best part about it, is the feeling I get from putting pen to paper. It's a much more intimate experience than tap-tap-tapping on the computer. Quiet and introspective, like writing in a journal. It's empowering, really.

I'm not about to abandon my computer anytime soon, but sometimes I need to feel those words flow from me directly onto the paper. I like to scribble things out, cram extra paragraphs into the margins, and have the words tumble out so quickly that I can barely keep up. Writing becomes a kinetic experience as much as a mental one. If only it burned more calories, it would be perfect...

As an added bonus, I can tote my notebook to kids' soccer games and appointments. I can curl up anywhere and everywhere, or sprawl out on the floor with the cat. Oh, and I don't get distracted by the internet (oh, internet, I heart you).

Do you like writing things out by hand too?

Besos!

2 comments:

Terresa said...

Yep, I enjoy putting pen to paper.

I wrote one of my all time favorite essays ("A waterfall in the middle of London") on a yellow pad of paper in our hotel room the night before we flew back to the states, and on the plane I continued writing it and madly scratching out bits and pieces for hours on the flight back home.

It can be exhilarating to have the flow going, pen to paper. Another one of my favorite pieces ("Why I write"), oddly enough, I wrote sitting in the front seat of our family van while my husband drove us back home from a trip to Provo, Utah. That was one piece that came so clearly as I wrote (which can be rare for me), that I didn't edit it later. It was a gift.

Anonymous said...

interesting post. I would love to follow you on twitter. By the way, did any one hear that some chinese hacker had busted twitter yesterday again.