Monday, November 9, 2009

Happy Birthday to me, I'm a hundred and three

It's my birthday this week, and for once I know what I want: to be done the first draft of this zombie manuscript. I already know that's not going to happen*, so I've given myself until the end of the month to finish. That's when I realized I should've signed up for NaNoWriMo.

For those of you who don't know, November is National Novel Writing Month. Many writers use this as a way to kick start (or finish) a WIP, as the goal is to write 50,000 words in one month. This is a major feat, and I had decided not to participate because...because...uh, well, I can't really remember why, but I'm sure it was a really good reason**.

Anyways, now that I've become determined to complete this manuscript this month, I figure I ought to receive some sort of recognition for it. Maybe it's not too late to sign up (it's not like it costs anything), but I can't tell for sure because I haven't been able to access the website. Must be all those people entering their stats or something. Even if I can't sign up, at least I've challenged myself. I'll keep ya posted!

Have any of you ever done nanowrimo? Was it a good experience?

Besos!

*My backup wish is for this super cute winter coat in this lovely shade of blue, but that won't be happening either because I'm not getting a present this year so we can go on a vacation to somewhere warm and likely crawling with H1N1. Don't be jealous.
**The term lazy comes to mind.

4 comments:

Terresa said...

Somewhere warm? Hmmm. Las Vegas comes to mind. If you happen to visit my sin city, let me know! We could meet up for gelato & a spur of the moment writing workshop or something! :)

PS: Good luck w/your NaNoWriMo. You go girl!

Terresa said...

PS: Happy birthday, of course!!!

Stephanie Faris said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

I would say you could sign up now. I've done it two years and this was going to be my third but I got 60 pages into my ms. and my agent asked for me to provide an outline for the second book in the series she's trying to sell. So I had to switch to it...and it'll only be 42,000 words. I think you have to write a 50,000 word one? I also think you have to start the ms. and write it to completion, but heck, you don't need NaNoWriMo. Just put a progress meter on your page and join in with us! I'm trying to get to 42,000 asap and I'll definitely be doing it by the end of the month, NaNo or not!

Tracy said...

Thanks for the birthday wishes. If we get to Vegas, you'll be the first to know, Terresa - mmm, gelato...

And good luck with your sequel, Stephanie!