Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Chaos Theory

Ever have one of those days? You know, the kind where you feel like you've been on the go from the second your feet hit the floor? And then you sit down and see that your living room is a complete disaster...and every other room looks like a tornado must've surely hit while you were out running errands or throwing in yet another load of laundry - and you wonder just what you did all day long?

Not to mention the loving husband who works so hard out in the "real world", who comes home to said disaster-stricken area and assumes you must've been lounging on the couch eating bonbons whilst watching wrappers, paper, clothes and dishes multiply and replenish...

Can I just say that I very strongly dislike those kinds of days? Nothing makes me feel like more of a failure as an at-home mom. I mean, sure, I have good days too, but they're sooo much harder to remember when staring at the aftermath of busy family life!

I was thinking how that's a lot like writing a novel. Some days it comes together, with everything in its proper place. But there are days (oh, and how!) when bits and pieces of character and plot are strewn across the pages, and you wonder how it all got to be that way (and how in the world you can possibly fix the mess).

You feel like a failure as a writer, because if you were any good, the story wouldn't be in such disarray!

But...once you start to shift things a little this way, or that, you quite often find that it starts to make sense. You get a clearer picture of what's working and what's not. That's when you find hidden gems in the story.

I have a theory. I shall call it my Chaos Theory*. These messes are a necessity (I can sense my husband smacking his forehead and shaking his head right about now). Without them, we would never devise new and exciting ways of solving our problems. Whether the problem requires new shelving or a new sub-plot, the chaos often breeds something very good.

Unless it's an old piece of fruit under the couch. That just breeds mould. Which is, um, the opposite of good.

Besos!

*Hmm, sounds familiar...sure hope there's no copyright on that.

2 comments:

Life with Kaishon said...

I saw your comment at Mormon Mommy Bloggers page and I came over to say hi : ). This made me laugh out loud! Especially the fruit under the couch. I haven't vacumed under the couch in forever. I am afraid to lift it.... : )

Stephanie Faris said...

Chaos drives me crazy. I love that feeling that I have everything under control...when things feel like they're spinning away from me it drives me crazy.