Saturday, August 29, 2009

Sorry for the melancholic interlude

I just realized that I posted that poem last night without any explanation...so today, I explain. On the first of this month, my most darling, sweetest friend lost her husband of 7 years in an accident. She is now a widow at the age of 27, and is left raising two of the cutest boys aged 5 and 3.

She is an amazingly strong person, but now that the intitial shock is wearing off, it's time to deal with the back-breaking grief, and the stress of starting over. As someone who loves her, I struggle with knowing what to do, and knowing what to say. I can only hope that time goes by quickly enough to heal her, yet slowly enough to keep the memories of their incredible relationship intact.

I think that when you're as strong as she is, it's hard to even know where to begin asking for help and support. I'm so grateful for her husband's family, and for the concern they have for her. I know they worried so much when she didn't come crashing down in the first couple of weeks, but as it begins to settle in, they are there for her. We all want to be there for her.

So, I hope she knows how much I love her, and how much I wish I could say and do the perfect thing that'll help her make it through another day. I hope she knows that no matter how far she feels like falling, I won't let her go down, and neither will anyone else.

3 comments:

Laura said...

How terribly sad. I will keep her and her family in my prayers.

Tracy said...

Thank you, Laura. I know she'd appreciate it.

Stephanie Faris said...

You are a good friend. This is indeed tragic...but all you can do is be there for her, as you are doing now.