Friday, August 14, 2009

Because apparently I have nothing better to do at 3 am

Stupid insomnia. I went to bed at eleven, only to come out at half past twelve because my husband (you know I love you honey) was tossing and turning and keeping me awake. I was up this late last night too!

Well, 10K writing day was, um, yesterday I guess. I participated to the best of my ability considering how dozy I was, and came up short of 5K, but in all, writing is writing and gets me a little closer to my goal. I've become quite a fan of 10K day. I like having that extra bit of motivation to just do as much as I can.

Mini progress report: I've all but ditched the book I originally started on a while back to pursue a new and fabulous idea. I'll get back to book 2 (I'm about 1/3 of the way through), but this other one is shaping up to be a snappy little thing.

The idea originally came to me as a series of Far Side type cartoons (I'm totally dating myself, I'm sure...) and involves something I never in my wildest dreams thought I'd write about - a zombie. The cartoons will be incorporated as part of the story, and I have to say that this is different and fun and dare-I-say high concept enough to be something great. I'm not even going to give up the title because it's all kinds of genius (says I)!

Now, don't be thinking this is a horror novel of some kind - it's not. I don't even like scary stuff*, and can't name any zombie movies to save my life. I've also never read a book with zombies in it (because, hello, they're too scary), though I've heard of several current YA books that deal with them. This book is a bit of a tongue-in-cheek romantic comedy/tragedy YA, and I really hope I can pull it off because I'm sooo excited by the concept.

Well, I guess that's about all anyone in their right mind should put in a post in the middle of the night. I'm going to see if I can finally crash out!

Besos!

*To read about my super-sekrit method of watching scary parts in movies, or just dealing with scary stuff period, go here. Trust me, it works every time.

6 comments:

Wend's Place said...

A friendly zombie?! Did you watch Shawn of the Dead that was funny zombie.

I hope it goes well.

Sweet dreams

Stephanie Faris said...

Hope you got some sleep! Insomnia sucks.

Pink Bug said...

I have friends who are dedicated to "Shawn of the Dead". In fact they even made a zombie movie as a spoof.

Sometimes I get that insomnia too. Not as much now as I did last year thank goodness. Try having no caffine after 6:00pm...

I just love it when you get great ideas and they take you on a journey...good luck!

Tracy said...

Well, it only took until about 4:30 to fall asleep :( I wish caffeine were the problem - then it'd be an easy fix! I don't drink coffee or tea, and rarely drink soda or eat chocolate. I did have a few potato chips with dip early in the evening. Maybe my body gets hyped up on salt, carbs and fat???

Terresa said...

sounds zany and fun!

Anonymous said...

Sorry for my bad english. I would like to get updated with you new posts as I love to read your blog. Add me to your mailing list if you have any.