Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Back to school blues

I really shouldn't be complaining. After all, every single one of my five children has been bouncing off the walls (a couple of them in a literal sense - ah, boys...okay, and one of the girls). So, while I'm happy they'll have somewhere to go that will allow them to release some of that energy, I'm so sad that the end of summer is here. And not just because I can't sleep in anymore (although that is a very, very sad thing...)

It's been fun, it's been busy, and it's gone by way too fast! Do you remember how quickly summertime flew by when you were a kid? I sure do, but why, oh, why didn't anyone warn me that it was even worse when you're a grown up?! How lame is that?

So, in an effort to cheer myself up, I've made up a list of things I'm grateful for with the kids heading back to school.

1. I won't have to find creative ways to fit eight hundred cups into the dishwasher (seriously, why can't they use the same water glass or two during the day?? Or better yet, why can't they use their water bottles?).

2. I won't have to do eight hundred loads of laundry a day (like it's not bad enough with 7 people in the family, they have to change several times a day...I keep trying to get them to live in their bathing suits all summer, but they just won't listen!).

3. My kitchen will get the rest it deserves (because contrary to popular belief, kids don't need 3 snacks between breakfast and lunch, 5 snacks between lunch and dinner, and 2 snacks before bed).

4. I won't have to feed them eighteen times a day (and I thought breast-feeding them as babies* was time consuming - it doesn't hold a candle to all the time I spend in the kitchen feeding them "real" food - and it's waaaaay more expensive!)

5. If I clean up the living room/bathroom/any room, it'll stay clean for most of the day. (Sure, I only like to do that when company is coming, but still...)

6. No more tripping over video game cords.

7. I can put music on really loud without interrupting anyone's favourite show.

8. Peace and quiet**. (This may seem to contradict #7, but I don't think they're mutually exclusive. There's a time and place for rockin' out, and a time for quiet. With them gone, I have a choice!)

9. Peace and quiet.

10. PEACE. AND. QUIET.

Ahhh, I feel so much better already. What makes back to school easier for you?

Besos!

*Too much information, I know.

**Sure, I home school #1, but she's generally the least noisy of the 5.

4 comments:

MeganRebekah said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
MeganRebekah said...

Laughing at your comment about all the cups in the dishwasher. I don't even have kids, but between family and friends coming over I'm always out of cups. I swear that sometimes I run just a dishwasher full of cups (and spoons for some reason).

Enjoy the peace and quiet!

Erin said...

The cups, clothes & snacks sound familiar to me too!

It really is hard to get our heads around The End of Summer!

Fiauna said...

I'm right there with you! Let's hear it for school!