Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Another 10K writing day (or two)

It's getting to be that time again. If you missed it last month, you can still get in on the action. There are two, count 'em TWO! 10K writing days this month. One on Thursday the 13th, and another on Saturday the 22nd (a great idea for those who can't participate during the week). Head on over to Milli Thornton's blog to check it out. Don't forget to sign up!

Some of you are probably thinking "I could never write ten thousand words in one day!" You may be right, but it doesn't matter! The idea behind the 10K day is to just dedicate the day to writing (it could be in a journal, for a blog - comments on other blogs included!, or your latest novel). You may be surprised at just how much you're able to get done.

I heard about it for the first time last month on MeganRebekah's blog. I ended up spending that afternoon at the park with my kids, but took my notebook and just wrote. I wasn't anywhere near the 10K mark by the end, but the experience really got the creative juices flowing, and I ended up with some excellent chapters for my current WIP, as well as getting a great start on a few other projects I had going.

If you find that you're languishing over what comes next in your story, take a break and write something else. Or, give yourself permission to let go. Be crazy, and let those characters do something silly. It'll help move things along, and next thing you know, you'll have the answers the story needed. Writing is work, but it's supposed to be enjoyable*.

And, in case you're wondering, I do occasionally take my own advice :)

Besos!

*Uh, I think. Otherwise, why am I doing it when I'm not even getting paid yet...

5 comments:

MeganRebekah said...

I learned that I just can't attempt 10k on a weekday, but I want to try for the one on 8/22. Thanks for the reminder!

Stephanie Faris said...

I've done 10K in one day...approximately 40 pages...but it was always on a Saturday when I had the whole house to myself! I like to set hourly goals for myself and usually they're no more than 4 pages an hour...which would mean it would take me 10 hours to get there!

Fiauna said...

As soon as school starts I'm going to try one of these 10k days. I'd love to see just how much I can get done in one day.

Milli Thornton said...

Hi Tracy,

Thanks for telling your readers about the 10K Day again. Here is the link for today's event:

Check-in page for 10K Day ~ August 13

Hope to see you there! ~ Milli

Erin said...

What a challenge - I am very intrigued & so impressed with all YOUR work, Tracy! You're amazing.