Tuesday, July 28, 2009

A little support goes a long way, and a shortened, cheezy post turns out to be super-duper long (and cheezy) anyway

*Warning* Reading this post might cause you to get that song from Beaches in your head. That was entirely unintentional, and I apologize. If it makes you feel any better, I don't even like that song, so I've annoyed myself by writing this.

Okay, so I just wrote this big, long post that had a dreams/airplane analogy, but I decided it was too long-winded and could be summarized into 3 itty bitty points.

1.Dreams are like airplanes.
2.Hope is what makes them take flight.
3.When you share your dreams with others, those dreams can soar.

So, what brought all this on, you ask?

Well, I was talking with some old friends this weekend. We were discussing future hopes and dreams, and I came away feeling so buoyant. There's really no other word to describe it. Then I got to thinking about why I felt so good. After all, I feel pretty good most of the time, but this was something entirely different.

I'm kind of a private person* whose deepest thoughts rarely see the light of day, but as my friends and I layed out some of our aspirations, something magical happened. It was like the good will and wishes of others literally picked up my own hopeful little I-wanna-be-a-writer aircraft, and catapulted it into outer space.

Now, I don't want you to think that I've had no family support with my dream of becoming a published writer. I have, and that means a lot too. In fact, they're the reason I have more confidence than I probably should :) - but somehow having people believe in me (who aren't required to love me) gave me an added dose of determination and even more hope.

The more I thought about it, the more I realized that this is what blogging about this whole process does too. My husband (who thinks the internet is best used for playing games online) is baffled by my blog. He is baffled that I try to read so many other blogs. I've had a difficult time explaining it to him too, because up until now, I didn't know exactly why.

It's fun? I learn lots from amazing and talented people? I just like it? Well, those may all be true enough, but I've finally figured out the real reason behind my actions.

Reading and writing about these experiences puts air under my wings.

I guess I've been well on my way to coming to this conclusion anyway, but this weekend really cemented it in my mind. I hadn't realized that I was feeling somewhat self-conscious about talking to others about my writerly aspirations, the book I've written, and the steps I've begun to take towards making this a career.

(I'm afraid others will think I'm pretentious. Do you ever have that fear?)

The truth is, I haven't got an agent yet, and getting published is even further away than that.

However...I've decided to put those bashful days behind me.

When it comes down to it, I believe in myself, and I believe in my dream. I know that if I'm good enough, then someone is going to offer to represent me. It may take a while to find the right person, but I'm willing to plug away until I make a good match for my story and my career. I'm extremely proud of what I've accomplished so far, and the projects that are in the works will only be better too. I'm always learning; always growing and improving.

This will happen, and until it does, I'm going to share my experiences with anyone who wants to listen. No more stumbling over descriptions of my novel or WIPs, no more mumbling, no more sweaty palms, no more worrying. I have a new-found gratitude for people who ask about what I'm working on, because I think they want me to succeed**.

I know that whatever you're dreaming about - I want you to succeed. I look forward to reading about your trials and successes. Hang in there! I will if you will.

So, thank you for reading my blog; for making me feel like I have something interesting to say, for sharing in my excitement about this awesomely crazy journey, and for putting up with my rambling about, uh, airplanes and wind.

Besos!

*Well, except when I'm airing my innermost feelings on a blog.
**I'm all for making assumptions like that.

11 comments:

MommyJ said...

Yes, yes, and well, yes!! I feel the same way. You voiced it wonderfully.

My aspirations? Um, exactly what yours are. :) I've just finished my first manuscript and am in the editing/revising/making it better phase. I'm nearing the "it's time to jump in the I'm trying to get published pool", but not quite yet.

It's scary. It's hard. But it's oh so much fun! And it's awesome knowing that others are doing the same thing.

Lazy Writer said...

I definitely feel the same way. I told no one about my writing but my family up until the last couple of months. I guess I was afraid of what they would think.

I had a similar experience with my friends a couple of weeks ago, where I shared my dream of becoming a published author, and I walked away feeling really good. Blog friends do the same thing! :)

sarah said...

I love to read your blog. In fact, I love you have a blog. Keep it up!

Terresa said...

You're welcome! Yeah, I still blush when my husband introduces me as "A writer"...when will I ever get over myself on that one, I don't know. ;)

PS: What is your book about?

KayKayBe said...

Tracy- I saw your comment on Nathan B's blog, and thought "5 kids and upbeat. Wonder what she's about." So I popped over to say hello. I'm a happy mom of 4 and editing my first novel. Just seven or eight more major overhauls ought to get me to the querying stage with you. Good luck!

Stephanie Faris said...

Blogging has been one of the most rewarding experiences of my life. Interacting with others, touching others with my writing. I don't know if a non-writer could ever relate to that. Still, I've been accused of not putting enough of me out there and I'm working on that. I was subject to some attacks on another blogging site and since then I've kept the part of me that could be attacked shut away. Now that I'm over here, I'm going to work on being more open because I just sense an environment of kindness and support on this site.

Tracy said...

Thanks for the comments, and welcome! I guess aspiration loves company, no?

And Terresa, thanks for asking, haha. I'm working on a side blurb thingy about my novels. I'm just trying to decide if it's a good idea to put all that info up there...

Fiauna said...

Well, you're welcome. And, as an aspiring writer seeking representation myself, I totally understand what you're saying. My airplane tends to hit quite a bit of turbulence, however. Just yesterday I sent a query to an agent that I was really excited about only to later realize I'd accidentally deleted a word in the last line of the letter before sending it. DOH!! I guess another one bites the dust. Ugh!

Anyway, keep chasing that dream and eventually you'll catch it. I believe in you (even if I don't know you).

Ixchelle said...

You are indeed a great writer. I remember living in Bryan and you told me that you edited your husbands papers...so cool. Your blog is so interesting Tracy. I really admire anyone that can write like you can. I am not a writer, I am a talker and can hold a great conversation. I forget punctuation, etc. I hope your dreams come true. You are such a beautiful person. You have excellent taste in music and your kids are super cool. Do you have any advice for me in improving my writing skills? Please help!

Tracy said...

Ixchelle, you really do have a gift for conversation, and for putting people at ease. I think about you often, and wish I could be more like you in so many ways!

As for writing advice, well, I'm by no means an expert, but I would suggest reading lots, and writing whenever you can. Journals are great for that kind of thing!

Ixchelle said...

I love you. Can we please live close to each other for once in our lives? Any chance that you will move back to America?