Monday, July 13, 2009

Back from holidays and musings on what editors are picking up

I have to admit that I felt a little weird without my computer/appendage, but I had tons of fun at hubby's family reunion. We don't get to see everyone all that often, so it's always a good time when we can get together. Usually everyone is in bed by 10:30 and I'm the lone night owl that stays up into the wee hours, but this time all of us girls stayed up until 2 am playing cards and giggling while everyone else tried to sleep. It was a blast.

I got home to a couple of rejections in my inbox - one of which was for a partial, which was a bit of a buzz-kill. C'est la vie (and I still have a partial out in the agentverse). I'm trying not to be discouraged, but I must admit it can be a challenge.

I read about YA writers who are getting agents, and of books that are being snapped up by publishing houses, and they're all so very different from mine. They're...well, they're very edgy. They deal with subject matter that I have no desire to touch with a 30 foot pole.

An edgy writer I am not. I'm okay with that. Happy even. And logic tells me there's room for good, clean, exciting books. That's what I like to read, and that's what my kids like to read. They're certainly not the only ones.

I hope this doesn't come across as too whiny. I love the book that I'm submitting to agents, and I believe it will find the right home. It's just hard sometimes. There are days when I do wonder...

I know you all understand what I'm talking about. I'm curious about your thoughts on the subject?

Besos!

5 comments:

MeganRebekah said...

I've read about some edgy YA getting agents and publishers within weeks of the initial query recently. Crazy, unexpected stories, I know.
I've even read some excerpts from some of those and they are good. But like you, it's not what I write. And I think there is a home for my writing, and a spot for theirs.
Keep the faith! (and keep us updated)

Fiauna said...

Don't roll over yet. It usually takes time and many, many rejections before you're picked up by and agent.

I totally hear what you're saying about the edgy YA lit these days. I'm in the same boat. I don't know if what I'm writing will sell because there's nothing questionable in it. Oh well, on this I am not compromising.

Tracy said...

Thanks for the reassurance. I know there's enough room in the publishing world for all kinds - it't just nice to know that others feel the same way!

Lazy Writer said...

Stick to your guns! That's what I'm trying to do. My YA is contemporary, but clean teen. I hope it finds a home someday, but if not, well, whatever!

Terresa said...

have you read "The time traveler's wife" yet? I just finished reading it the other week. It is a NY Times Bestselling book and was rejected 37 times (don't quote me but it was something like that -- a high number, no?).

How many times did great inventors fail before they made a difference and their invention finally worked? Your book will find a home, just as mine will, some sunny day.