Friday, July 17, 2009

10K writing day

Yesterday I participated in author Milli Thornton's 10K day (that I learned about from reading MeganRebekah's blog). I didn't come anywhere near the 10,000 words*, thanks to overly demanding children (husband included, haha) who don't understand the need for me to be left alone, but I had so much fun and wrote more in one day than I have in a long, long time.

Honestly, it was the best remedy for the "I'm querying, but nobody's answering, or when they are, they don't like me so I must really stink" blues. Okay, I'm laughing even as I type this. I'm really no good at the depressed-angsty thing. I'm too half-glass-full to be in a funk for any length of time**.

The "rules" for the 10K day include the stipulation that you're not necessarily supposed to make your goal, so much as to just make the time to write and have fun with it.

Thank goodness for that!

I didn't actually think I'd make it (though the over-achiever*** in me secretly hoped I would). With 5 kids at home, it's kind of hard to keep them out of my hair long enough to even write a complete paragraph. We did spend the afternoon at the park, where I was able to get a lot done while working on my sunburn. In all, a highly productive and fun day!

I highly recommend that you take the time to participate in the next 10K day if you can. The next one is being held on August 13th and you can sign up here. It doesn't cost anything, and it really gets the creative juices flowing. You don't even have to work on a novel - anything counts. Even blogging! So what are you waiting for??

Besos!

*I wrote in a notebook, so I'm not even sure exactly how many words I did write, but it can't have been more than 5K.

**Except for that one time I had post-partum depression and didn't realize it until it was over and done. It was one of the most confusing times of my life with my brain trying to be happy, and my body being physically incapable of cooperating.

***This side of me doesn't come out very often, haha.

5 comments:

Milli Thornton said...

Tracy, this is wonderful! I loved reading the behind-the-scenes stuff about your day yesterday.

And don't worry about the word count!! Heck, I only got up to 8,101 myself, even though I stayed up until almost 2 AM slogging away trying to meet the goal. LOL!!

The main thing is that we're happy with ourselves and what we wrote. I know I'll have to cut a bunch of junk when I edit the articles and blog posts I wrote yesterday - but that's the beauty of writing without restraint. Far better to have a bunch of stuff to trim or rewrite than to have an empty notebook.

Yeah!

Thank you also for posting the link to the August 13 RSVP link and for encouraging your readers to join us next time. The more the merrier!

So glad we met!

~ Milli

P.S. If you'd like to be a guest blogger over at Fear of Writing, here's the scoop:

Guest Bloggers: An Invitation

I'd love to have you!

MeganRebekah said...

5000 words in a notebook? You're my hero! I can't write more than a page on paper before I'm scratching it out and scribbling in the margins.
Awesome accomplishment!

Terresa said...

What an excellent writing exercise, although I'd probably have to either hire a sitter or pull an all-nighter to make it work with my 4 little ones underfoot.

I'm currently reading the most inspiring book entitled, "Writing the bones"...writing inspiration is all around us, I just need to remember to open my eyes.

lisa slocombe said...

hi tracy
i haven't had a chance to read today's post, but i wanted to share this blog post with you, it's from Emily Watts, an editor for Deseret Book... not like you need the advice, but thought it might be an interesting read for you:
http://emilywatts.com/blog/show/191-Editor-s-Hint--1

Fiauna said...

I've never come close to 10K words in one day. Amazing.