Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Good Girls Can Be Masochists Too

I sent off a couple of email queries during the last week to a few other agents. Their response times are generally quicker than my first one (for which I got a partial request), which is why I waited this long to submit. I mean, I have so little control over this process, it couldn't hurt to try and manoeuvre things a little in my favour, right? In the end, I know I'd be in great hands with any one of them. Hopefully I've spaced it out enough that the responses will come in around the same time*. Who knows, maybe things will heat up and I'll get more than one offer.

A girl can hope, right?

Right?

*crickets chirp*

Hey, it's my blog and I can dream if I want to...

So, I'm excited and nervous again. Nerves stink, and are counter-productive. My problem is that I've got an overactive imagination. This is good for writing stories, but not so good for getting a good sleep. I imagine all kinds of exciting scenarios**, plotting my reactions and living in the land of what-if. Then my heart races, my palms get sweaty, and my stomach does its own clumsy brand of gymnastics as it flips and flops all over the place. This all leads to sleep deprivation, making me too tired to function in just about every capacity. I forget to clean the house (meh, that was probably going to happen anyway), I forget to feed the children (not good), and the laundry goes by the wayside as I wander around in a stupor. Now the family is hungry and smelly, and my husband is wondering why I am doing this to myself. See, and there's the sad, sad irony. I AM doing this to myself! WHO DOES THAT???

Oh yeah. Writers, that's who. ME, that's who.

*shakes head*

What have I gotten myself into?

Besos...

*This isn't a completely exclusive list. I'll likely be adding to it as I find more agents who represent books that I enjoy and/or are similar to mine. There are so many excellent agents out there.

**As an optimist, I only imagine the most excellent scenarios of course.

4 comments:

Terresa said...

Awesome. What an exciting time. Live your dream, girl!

As a public Librarian for several years, I've seen so much junk published that it gave me hope years ago to start writing and that I would someday get published. Now, 4 kids later, my life is more complicated (busy!), but I'm still writing and still optimistic.

Keep your optimism. It will get you places! ;)

Tracy said...

Thanks! Good luck with your WIP. I know how hard it is to write and chase after kids! :)

Stephanie said...

I used to be like this.....until partial and full requests ended in rejection...then slowly rejection starts to become the norm and after a while, it no longer fazes you. At that point, it's expected and I no longer get giddy sending queries or receiving responses...I already know what they say! But I do have a tiny tiny part that still hopes. And that is why I continue and keep on writing...hoping the next project has what the last one was missing!

Fiauna said...

Just reading this post got my blood pressure up a few points. The anticipation is the worst--and the best.