Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Edits, or, Praise to the girl who catches my mistakes

I've received the first groups of chapters back from my fresh pair of eyes today. Even though I was a little scared to see what she had for me, I was so happy. It's weird, because I'm a pretty laid back person, but I like to do things right the first time, and I'm kind of a perfectionist for typos, grammar, etc. so I feel embarrassed for some of the things I've missed. I definitely struggle with being too hard on myself, but that's one thing that I love about the whole writing thing. It takes me out of my comfort zone, stretches me, and helps me understand that it's okay to have to go back and do things over. I don't need to be perfect, right? After all, that's why I asked for Rebecca's help!*

I can't even begin to express how grateful I am for her - she is wonderful. I'm looking forward to going over the manuscript and making some more changes. Her thoughtful comments have already started the wheels turning. This story doesn't know it yet, but it's going to be better! I just hope I can do a good enough job. I feel a tremendous responsibility to her - I want for her time to be well-spent.

Now, if only I didn't have such a busy week, I could get more chapters out to her...

Besos...

*Just to clarify - Rebecca doesn't have magical powers that bestow perfection upon imperfect manuscripts. She's just incredibly insightful. I should stop telling everyone how good she is. She might want me to pay her. And I totally would if I could.

No comments: