Monday, January 19, 2009

Slow progress is better than no progress

There never seem to be enough hours in the day to accomplish all that I would like. I think it's self-defeating to complain, so I'll just leave it at that. I'm still on track with this manuscript for the end of February, so I refuse to worry.

As I get closer to the finished product, I've been thinking a lot about the next step (obtaining an agent), which entails writing a query letter (wherein a writer begs, I mean, entices an agent to represent their masterpiece) . I've spent many hours reading agent and author websites/blogs in an attempt to glean as much information as possible (thank goodness for the world wide web - I can't imagine doing this in the good old days!) My research brought me to a website called Query shark. It's an amazing service rendered by seasoned agent, Janet Reid, where people can submit their query letters for critique. Since I'm pretty new to all of this, I figured I could use all the help I can get. Ms. Reid has stated that she has quite a large number of submissions, so it could take a while, but by the time she gets to mine (assuming she even chooses it in the first place) I should be armed with a finely-tuned manuscript to go with a freshly critiqued query letter. Very exciting* stuff!
*There is a small, infinitesimal part of me that is terrified that she will tear the letter to shreds...but this is no time for my pride to get in the way...

Anyhoo, fingers crossed!

Besos...

No comments: